Saturday, February 21, 2009

Shameless Ask

As I mentioned in a previous post, I love my local NPR radio station. I'm tempted to veer off into a tangent and express my personal opinion of the right-wing "liberal media" accusation, but I will refrain. All I want to say right now is that I LOVE NPR AND YOU SHOULD TOO. Liberal or not, where else can you get an honest analysis of current events and not just a sound bite? Life isn't simple; the issues that we face individually and as a society aren't simple. If you think about it for more than a minute, you have to acknowledge that the world isn't black and white, that the issues we face, especially now, are complicated and require much more than a knee-jerk response.

And there's a lot of fun stuff too.

It happens that my NPR station, WNYC, is having their winter fund drive, and perhaps your local NPR station is too. So GIVE THEM MONEY. During crazy economic times we all, of course, review our discretionary spending a little more closely. But I can't think of a time in which I rely even more on the thoughtful programming I get to hear every day from my station. I'm asking that you think about what you get from your station and show your gratitude with a pledge. Jeez, and they're not even paying me.

No comments:

Post a Comment